The Now Page

Photo by Rob Mulally on Unsplash

What I’m Working on and Thinking About Right Now

Last Updated 1/9/2022

Also consider checking out my weekly public journal updates for more detail and reflection on actual happenings week-to-week.

The giant caveat to the “now” of this is that I am a chronic procrastinator. This is a list of things I am actively working on, as well as some I very much want to work on and complete in the next week-to-month, but it’s also likely that much of it won’t get done. I aim to improve on that over time. To see how this page has evolved over time, try out the Discourse Post Edit History function (the little pencil icon at the top of this topic).

• :handshake: Collaborating with friends and cool Internet peoples to make awesome things!
    • A friend of mine and I are hoping to co-create a children’s book on butterflies (I’ll be contributing photos, she’ll do science)
    • The other project is even more exciting for me personally, but I hesitate to say anything until it’s more certain…
  • Helping local content and food creators with tech questions, issues, challenges.
    • I started reaching out to people to offer free basic services to people I thought could benefit from a little tech boost 6-9 months ago
    • I’m now starting to work with some really interesting people, and excited to help them take their work and projects to the next stage!
    • Very rewarding stuff. And it’s interesting getting practice navigating the boundaries of free vs. paid skilled work (I am a believer in donating at least some of my time to people and causes I want to support).
  • :brain: Thinking about new app and project ideas (details soon), and what the next-generation of PKM and general productivity apps could and should be capable of. (also jumping into lots of Twitter threads on the subject)
  • :couch: Decorating and otherwise improving my living room/bar area
    • Added a coffee table, may be a placeholder, but it’s not bad…
    • New, small shelves for bitters
    • Considering “fairy” lights for the ceiling
  • Negotiating the next phase of working with the Anytype team. I was able to move them from Flarum to Discourse and we’re now considering how I might best remain involved long-term!
  • :stop_sign::test_tube: Experimenting with setting up a powerful, end-to-end feedback management system in Fibery that will hopefully include Product/Market Fit-driven prioritization of feedback items, among other cool features. This is currently on hold but I hope to get back to it very soon!
  • :open_book: :turtle: Reading “Strangers in Their Own Land”
  • :truck: Creating time lapses and working on website fixes and optimization for BigRigTravels, the culmination of a series of attempts to help this long-haul trucker spend less time and headache on his website. Things are a lot easier now that I can tinker with things directly. :smile: Optimizing image sizes, CSS and JS file loads, etc., as well as working on new features.
  • :rose: Slowly overhauling my dating app profiles, photos, etc. (including taking some “fancy selfies” due to pandemic limitations) and keeping active in the dating pool. It feels like a slog, but it’s better than doing nothing. :yum:
  • :construction: :turtle: Taking steps toward a home bar-oriented YouTube channel
    • Currently procrastinating on finalizing the script for my intro… :roll_eyes:
  • :clock5: Quarterly life review and mindset update: I did an abbreviated version of my quarterly and it went well! Better to do it with less depth than not at all, and it had been fully a year since my last one. :frowning_with_open_mouth: Now I’ll aim to do the next one more fully and see how it goes, but I can always fallback to a shorter version if needed and still get some value.
  • :infinity: Setting up social time with friends
    • :stop_sign::cocktail: Now that most of us here are vaccinated, I’m hoping to start having in-person events at my house again soon! Delta gave me pause for a bit, but I think the people I’d invite at this point are all pretty cautious and communicate well around their risk factors, thankfully. This is currently on hold due to the Omicron surge. :weary:
  • :construction: Adding more ideas and old blog post drafts to my digital garden
  • :construction: Photo editing and posting from my Western US road trip in fall 2019 (long overdue!) as well as other albums in the backlog.
    • :white_check_mark: Photo set from a trip to Israel in 2019 just finished and shared. :smile:
    • Next set of Western US road trip photos set for winnowing and polishing
  • :repeat: Evaluating community platforms for various projects past and present
    • Most recently Mighty Networks and Forem
  • :repeat:Testing new apps, especially in the note-taking space
    • Most recently Lunatask
    • And ClickUp’s new (buggy) whiteboard view
  • :infinity: Ongoing improvements to Discourse config, theme components, etc. across several Discourse instances (my own and those for clients, collaborators, etc.)

Get In Touch

Feel free to comment on anything of interest below. I’m always looking for input, feedback, and new collaborators for the things I’m working on and interested in! Since I’ll be updating this single post over time, try to quote the specific part you’re responding to in your message, if possible. It will continue to work even when the original text gets updated.