The potential challenges of Discourse Hosting

First let me preface what follows by saying that these comments are coming from my particular, somewhat old-school, and fairly basic web hosting and web system management mindset. For the last couple decades I’ve run PHP-based tools from blogs to forums to image galleries and more on simple LAMP stacks, mostly through WHM/Cpanel, and mostly on managed servers. The few times I’ve deviated from that it has been with heavy support from others, e.g. when I got Redmine running (Ruby on Rails) and used it as my “digital brain” for some years. WHM/Cpanel and PHP remain my “comfort zone”.

So to me Discourse’s hosting requirements are a little intimidating. That will (thankfully) not be true for everyone. But part of what I love about Discourse once it’s setup is that it’s remarkably easy to administrate and customize. For me that puts the potential challenges of initial setup and hosting somewhat in opposition of its eventual ease of use. My interest is strongly in favor of more people being able to create digital gardens more easily. So with that in mind…

I would say my biggest hesitation in recommending Discourse as a platform for digital gardening is hosting complexity vs. cost. If you have some commandline/server admin/hosting savvy, you can host Discourse for fairly cheap, either on Digital Ocean (maybe $10/mo) or for free on your own self-managed server at home (i.e. if you run your own server already and are comfortable managing it). Otherwise you need to use a paid, managed hosting option like https://www.communiteq.com/ which is what I used to use (I’m now self-hosting on Digital Ocean). They’re the cheapest option I know and still $20/mo, which for many is not very affordable.

Some people already have web hosting service they pay for to run e.g. Wordpress or other tools, usually PHP-based or otherwise something that can be run on a LAMP hosting stack. Discourse has different system requirements and isn’t necessarily compatible with that kind of hosting, especially if it’s “shared” hosting (which is always the cheaper kind).

So again it’s just a matter of cost vs. complexity. In the case of someone who already has LAMP hosting, they might be able to move to Digital Ocean without increasing cost, but would have to learn a bit to manage their server there as there is less “hand holding” than e.g. Dreamhost (my other primary web host where my blog sits: https://oshyan.com/ ).

1 Like

It’s good to learn more about yr background! guessing you fiddled w phpBB back in the day!

at some point, I plan to explore whether the free compute instance Oracle Cloud I have up & running is sufficient for a low bandwidth Discourse instance.

The only thing that makes Oracle Cloud hard to recommend is the hideous organization of its backend admin interface! (which a friend of mine forewarned me of!)

I have reliable SSH access to my Ubuntu server instance from my iPadPro and ever since setting it up, I can’t for the life of me get back to the UI to manage/config/clone compute instances & tech support is iffy at best…

So as long as the server keeps running and keeps rebooting properly for updates, there isn’t much reason to complain for hobby use? :man_shrugging:

Does anyone know a turnkey way to image a remote Ubuntu server to a local server and vice versa?

I want to replicate a production machine to a local dev machine & have some kind of automation to tweak config files so it has a new sense of “self” (ie. no crossed IPs!)

alternatively, if anyone has found a means to automate the content build of a Discourse instance from data checked into GitHub, this would even be more ideal.

by this I mean, I can repeatedly reset my server to a baseline install of Discourse & some script would reinitialize the instance from source control.

the latter automated build scenario sounds flexible & the former imaging scenario will serve my purpose to get a local dev instance up & running so I don’t kill my production server.

I still feel like a noob when it comes to modernizing how deployment works today so feel free to enlighten me! :pray:t3:

1 Like

I’m sure someone does. :wink: Not my area of expertise. But I think virtualization and using virtual machine images would probably be one approach.

As far as the Discourse part, as far as I understand resetting is easy, just as you say: pulling direct from Github. The installation instructions tell you to do that exactly that. So resetting is just a matter of deleting what’s there (including the database) and pulling from Github again and reinstalling.

I know nothing about Oracle’'s environment, but to make all this easier I have been experimenting with Docker, and looking at Bitnami as well. Either may be relevant to your situation.

1 Like