Week Ending 2/14/2021

• I am now doing yoga on average every other day. Still trying to find a video series I like, but various Yoga with Adriene practices work fairly well. Hoping to get up to every day if I can find a practice that is a consistently do-able in length. I don’t really want to do much more than 30min/day at the moment.
  • Got my new Sony A7 III camera. Some experiments and tests with it. It’s not mind-blowing, but pretty good so far. The improved autofocus was one of the things I was most looking forward to (vs. my old A580), and it’s certainly an improvement, but it’s kind of a complicated system, so I need to figure out how best set it up and use it.
  • I setup my Digital Garden (this place!) over a few day stretch of marathoning. I’ve been wanting to do this for months, so it’s exciting that I finally just went and did it, and it didn’t really take that long. I made a simple logo for it, found photos and free online resources, adjusted things, etc. It came together surprisingly quickly and fairly easily! Hoping to publish very soon, maybe tomorrow… (that didn’t happen :roll_eyes:)
  • I have a climbing jasmine vine on my front porch. Last year some birds nested in it but something ate the eggs. This week I saw some birds looking there again for a nesting spot. It makes me happy to see, I just hope they have better luck than the last pair!
  • I’m continuing to read through the Internal Family Systems Therapy book. The example so far given feels frustrating in that it makes it seem so easy, and I’m wondering why it has been hard for me to make such rapid progress. I’ll take to my therapist and coach about it in the upcoming weeks and get their take.
  • I made a makrut lime and coriander coffee cake from an old family recipe I got from my grandma (which turns out to just be a modification of a Knudsen sour cream coffee cake recipe :smile:). The lime really came through, but the coriander was a bit more subtle. This flavor combination was inspired by some similarly flavored caramels a couple friends of mine made. It might not work quite as well in cake form, but only because the lime was the most prominent flavor, which was no bad thing! Anyway, I quartered it and was able to run them around and deliver to some friends to share, so that was a pretty satisfying outcome. :slight_smile:
  • I have a weekly video chat with some friends that has been going on since nearly the beginning of the pandemic. We’ve always organized it through group text and done the video in Zoom, but group texts are cumbersome, many people don’t respond, and having to switch to a different system and send the link every time is a pain. This week I started trying to get people to migrate to Discord, which combines everything we want in a much better system. So far it’s semi-promising, about 2/3 of the active people in the group have come over. Hopefully I can extend that further in the coming weeks/months.
  • I discovered and tested a new audio noise filter tool called Krisp (also integrated into Discord), which is super impressive. It’s a subscription-based tool but, depending on how much you need it, the 120 minutes free per week might suffice. I tested Nvidia’s version which was less effective (but is entirely free).
  • I finally bought a little bit of Bitcoin, hah. Through Coinbase, which has surprisingly high fees. I need to look into how to buy it cheaper as my investment strategy is currently aimed at Dollar Cost Averaging, so I’ll have a higher number of smaller transactions over time, and transaction fees will really eat into it.
  • Juuust getting started with possibly moving to Amazing Marvin, imported ToDoist tasks over…