Why I started a digital garden

I’ve had half-completed blog posts waiting in my drafts folder for literally years. In 2014 I went to Iceland and, as is so often the case, I learned many things that would have been useful to know before going. So I took notes and planned to publish them as a sort of “quick start” on planning an Iceland trip for others. But my notes stayed as notes and I never published them, until now, 7 years later! Of course they may not be as relevant and useful now, but at least they’re there for any value they might have.

The point, of course, is that now I have “permission” - from myself more than anything - to publish whatever I want in whatever state it’s in. Whenever, however. The “digital garden” concept and its implied never-finished, ever-evolving state brings me tremendous freedom as an amateur but enthusiastic writer. And I think that because I am encouraged to publish more (and probably edit more), ultimately my writing will become better as a result.

Have you built a digital garden, or have you been thinking about it? Have you seen benefits from it, or curious to find out what it might bring to your life? Let me know in the comments!