Week ending 8/15/2021

Chrome Tabs : 69 → 73

Gmail Inbox : 63 → 66 Unread, 68 → 72 Total

Forgot about emoji last week. I did kind of like that, so I’ll try it again this week. Let me know what you think!

:white_check_mark: Small but important victory this week: I finally got rid of those shelves I cleared off a couple weeks ago. A very nice couple came by and took all 4 of them! This is the culmination of many months of procrastination, and a few intermittent days of actually making progress. It’s a little thing, but it now leaves a lot of space (currently looking like a weird “hole” in my living room configuration) to eventually put a couch. Soon, dangit, soon! Not too eventually. :smile:

:couple: :man_walking: :national_park: :clinking_glasses: I had an absolutely delightful day out with a couple friends, er, a friend-couple (a couple of friends, who are a couple! :smile:) of mine. We had been planning up until the end of the prior week to go up to the Yuba River for some swimming, but sadly we had to cancel due to wildfire smoke and bad air quality. We made the best of it though, with a full day out in the Point Reyes/Marin area, visiting the light house, walking Drake’s Estero, mead tasting at Heidrun Meadery (a place I’ve wanted to visit for quite some time!), and an excellent dinner at Guesthouse Marin (also on my list for quite a while). Along the way we found some interesting flora and fauna, came up with a bunch of good last names for their pending nuptials, and just generally had a fantastic time. :blush:

:sparkles:I’m really enjoying my work with the Anytype team, and this week I got some very nice positive feedback from two of the team members that really felt good. I’ve only been there a little more than a month and haven’t been confident my involvement has yet had much impact, but it seems that many not be the case. :blush:

:fast_forward: Now that I am somewhat frequently making time lapse videos for Big Rig Travels, I’m reminded how much I wish there were a “time lapse” feature of YouTube, or at least one of those 3rd party sites that you can play a YT video through at 10-20x speed. You can use a Chrome plugin to play HTML5 video at up to 16x speed, however as far as I know it still tries to pull all the frames and just drops x amount of them, meaning that for e.g. 4k videos you need an unreasonable amount of download bandwidth (and YouTube likely isn’t even willing/able to supply that bandwidth anyway). The ideal solution would be some kind of frame dropping mode in the video platform/player itself, but I suppose YT doesn’t have much incentive to create one.

:mountain: From time to time I check-in on what the last company I worked for is up to. Mostly out of general curiosity, but being totally honest there is also part of me that wonders if anything will change there, if they’ll find a noticeably better route to success. I wonder, too, if I just wasn’t the right fit there and whether someone else will make a bigger positive impact on the company now. Interestingly, there is a lot more good educational content coming out, which has been sorely needed for a long time. Much of that work actually started well before I left the company though, and is finally now being published (and I’d argue it could and should have been finished much sooner). More generally, though, I don’t see any notable signs of greater success, reach, or user participation, which is really what I’d hope to see. I really do wish the best for the team and the product, and hope that given more time they’ll find a stronger route to success.

:balance_scale::chart_with_downwards_trend: I’m now consistently doing 1-2 fast days per week, successfully returning to my Intermittent Fasting “5:2” practice. And it’s working! My weight is down from a pandemic high of 150lb or so, to a little more than 140lb now, which is more what I consider to be my “normal” and fairly healthy range (and it’s where my weight tends to hover without extra encouragement to go lower). I’ve maintained as low as 136lb for short periods of time, and I’d actually like to see if I can get back to that, but for now I’m feeling pretty satisfied with nearly 10lbs lost in the last few months.

:seedling: I have a therapist (as well as a coach) that I am happy with, but for various reasons I’ve become especially interested in trying Internal Family Systems Therapy at some point. Well, I finally made a short list of local IFS therapists to contact, and while it’s a small thing, it has again taken me months to get to this point due to my ongoing procrastination in various areas. Speaking of which, procrastination is one of the things I really hope to untangle further in working with an IFS practitioner!