The journey to public announcement

I think a big part of the potential value of the “digital garden” concept, with its more free-form nature, and lower expectations or assumptions, is that it can make one feel more free to take thoughts and feelings that are inside and put them out there for others to see and hopefully identify with, feel validated by, and perhaps even discuss. So in the spirit of that…

I just want to acknowledge here that it took me a while - longer than I thought, hoped, or planned - to actually make mention of this place publicly. 75% of it came together over a weekend, but it took me 2 3 weeks more before I mentioned it on Twitter, Facebook, and the like. I did show it to a couple of friends for early feedback, but that’s really it.

There are a number of reasons for this: I didn’t have (or make) as much time after that initial, exciting weekend. There were things I wanted to do to it before I put it out there for all to see. There wasn’t enough content. That sort of thing. But the irony is it was “ready” to publish as soon as I put my first piece of writing into it, and certainly by the end of that initial weekend. Sure, it needed better navigation, there were elements that I’ve since removed (for the better), and there’s more content now. It all makes more sense and “flows” more in its current incarnation.

The thing is, shouldn’t the garden itself, as a whole, an entity, also play by the rules within it? Wouldn’t it be better for me to publicize the system itself without fear of judgment, without worrying that it’s “unfinished”, “not good enough”, etc.? And isn’t this place - and all its contents - ever-evolving and never-complete anyway? I think so. That is, after all, one of the biggest goals I have in creating this new context: to free myself from perfectionism and publish anxiety.

So I’m writing this the night before I actually plan to post links to this more widely. And I’m setting an intention: I will publish tomorrow, regardless of what state this is in… Though I reserve the right to do some more work on it and interpret “tomorrow” as “any time tomorrow” if necessary. :smile:

Update: so, yeah, I didn’t end up publishing like I told myself I would. :roll_eyes::sweat_smile: Even here perfectionism can be a struggle. But now, a week and a half later, I really am finally ready to “publish”. The site has actually been public this whole time, but I doubt anyone has found it. So here we go, March 2nd, many things still a work in progress, but I’ve added a link to my main website navigation and posted about it on Twitter and Facebook. Now I’m working in public! :tada: